Make these fish goujons to the delight of everyone, baby hake fillets from The Cheeseman are a versatile and economical fish to use.
- Cut the fish fillets across their width into thick, finger-like strips about 2cm wide.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour and cayenne with some salt and pepper to season.
- Put the egg in a separate bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs with the sesame seeds in a third bowl or on a plate.
- Toss the fish in the seasoned flour mixture, then dip each piece first in the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Place on a lightly oiled, non-stick, baking tray and chill for 30 minutes until required.
- Deep fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with the dip.
- For the dip, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, capers and lemon juice. Season to taste, then cover and chill.
COOK SMART With The Cheeseman
• Bread which is a day or two old is ideal for making breadcrumbs.
• To give the goujons a cheesy flavour, add 25g finely grated Parmesan to the breadcrumbs in place of the sesame seeds.