- Lightly grease 2-3 baking trays.
- With an electric mixer or wooden spoon, beat the butter or margarine until soft. Beat in the caster sugar.
- Add the flour and coffee and mix by hand to form an evenly blended dough. Wrap in a plastic bag and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Lightly sprinkle the work surface with icing sugar. Knead the dough on the sugared surface for a few minutes to soften it slightly.
- Using a rolling pin dusted with icing sugar, roll out the dough to ⅛ in (3mm) thickness. With a 2½ in (6cm) fluted pastry cutter,cut out 16 rounds. Transfer the rounds to the prepared baking trays. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a 150°C oven. Bake the biscuits until they are lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Let them cool and firm up before removing them from the trays to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let soften 10 minutes at room temperature.
- With a metal spatula, spread the ice cream evenly on the flat side of eight of the biscuits, leaving the edges clear. Top with the remaining biscuits, flat-side down.
- Arrange the ice cream sandwiches on a baking tray. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour, longer if a firmer sandwich is desired.