- Lemon and Sage Butter: Mix 3 tablespoons butter, the lemon zest, juice, spring onions and sage until well combined. Place the butter onto a small piece of plastic wrap and, using both ends of the plastic wrap, spin it around to make a cylinder. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Parsley and Lemon Butter: Combine 4 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mash it all together with the fork.
- To cook the Trout: Melt the 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat in a large nonstick skillet. Sprinkle the trout with salt and pepper.
- Place the fish skin-side down and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Using a sharp paring knife, slide the knife into the thickest part of the fish. If you don’t feel any resistance, your fish is done.
- Transfer the fish to serving plates. Either top with the chilled Lemon and Sage butter and garnish with the a few sage leaves; or top each hot fillet with 1 tablespoon of the Parsley and Lemon Butter.