- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease and line a 22cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and oil together until thick. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking between each addition to combine.
- Combine the our, spices and bicarbonate of soda. Sift the our mixture into the sugar mixture. Fold in the carrots and nuts. Pour into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until pale. Add icing sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy.
- Split cooled cake in half horizontally. Place the base of cake on a serving platter. Spread with half of the icing and sprinkle with a few nuts. Top with remaining half of the cake. Spread with remaining icing and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.