- Gently fry the onion and the garlic until golden.
- Add the fresh chilli and the pepper and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and fry them for a few minutes and then add the water.
- Drain the tin of kidney beans, place in a colander and run cold water over them to reduce the salt.
- Add these to the sauce and allow to simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce has reduced, about 30 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and sugar, then remove about half of the mixture, and mash to a pulp or pass through a liquidiser.
- Return the puree to the pan, and serve hot with the cheese sprinkled on top.
You may also like