- Preheat oven with the baking tray inside to 200C. Sift together the flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder in a large bowl. Sift again to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Cut the butter into cubes, place in the bowl and then mix with your fingertips to make breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese into the breadcrumb mixture and rub in until the cheese is evenly distributed. Try not to mix too much as the heat from your hands may start to melt the cheese.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in enough milk to give a fairly soft but firm dough. Do not pour in all the milk at once as you may not need it all to get the right consistency.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough to approximately 2cm thick. Cut out the scones with a medium cutter and then place on the hot oven tray. Glaze the tops with the extra milk and sprinkle a little cheese on the top of each scone before putting in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.