- Layer aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkling with a little salt. Drain for about 20 minutes, so that the bitter juices escape. Meanwhile, Preheat Oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Next, make the sauce. Fry onions and garlic in oil. Add tomatoes, water and sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced and thickened. Add fresh basil in the last five minutes.
- Make the breadcrumbs in a food processor, or crumble with fingers.
- Fry garlic in butter, then add breadcrumbs, stirring and scraping the pan, until mixture looks golden.
- Rinse the aubergines thoroughly under cold running water, pat dry.
- Grease a baking tray and lay the aubergine slices on top. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Turn once.
- Grease an oven proof pyrex-type dish. Layer the aubergines, with the tomato sauce, grated Kefalotiri Cheese, and the sliced Provolone. End with a layer of garlic breadcrumbs. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve garnished with basil. This is a dish with a lot of “bite” and goes beautifully with polenta or plain pasta.