- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Lightly grease two round 9″ cake tins. If you worry about the shortbread possibly sticking in your particular pans, line them with parchment, and grease the parchment.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract, then beat in the flour. The mixture may seem a little dry at first; keep beating till it comes together. If it absolutely won’t come together, dribble in up to 1 tablespoon of water, until it does. This is a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough in half, and press each half into one of the prepared tins, smoothing the surface with your fingers, or with a mini rolling pin.
- Use a fork to prick the dough all over; this allows any steam to escape, and prevents the shortbread from bubbling as it bakes.
- Bake the shortbread until it’s a light golden brown across the top surface, and a deeper golden brown around the edges, about 35 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut each round into 12 wedges. (Do this while the shortbread is still warm; if you wait until it’s cool, it won’t cut easily.) Transfer the shortbread wedges to a rack to cool.